m

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Yummies for Your Tummies

Starting a new tradition here with a "Yummies for Your Tummies". D & I are foodies. We love trying new foods; we love enjoying our tried-and-true favorites. Yesterday I made my mom's Italian Chicken, a favorite, and tried a new twist on chocolate cookies. Unfortunately, I didn't grab my camera, so you'll just have to take my word for it. With that said, I present to you:

The Worlds Easiest, Yummiest, Crockpottiest Italian Chicken
(is potty a weird word in a recipe?)

AND


Slightly More Healthy & Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

-----------
Crockpot Italian Chicken

Serves 8-12
Prep Time: 10 minutes (total)
Cooking Time: 6 hours (approximately)

4-6 Chicken Breasts
1 Bottle of Italian Dressing
2 Cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Tub of Sour Cream

After cleaning the chicken and placing it in the crockpot, pour the bottle of Italian dressing over it and cook on high for 3 hours, followed by 3 more hours on low. Remove the chicken and shred it. A fork and knife get the job done easily. Add the soup and sour cream into the chicken "drippings" (and Italian dressing) and stir until well mixed. Add the chicken, serve with rice or noodles, and VOILA! Dinner is served!

Chocolate Chip Cookies | Coconut Oil version

1/2 c. Coconut Oil
2 Eggs
1 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tbsp. Vanilla
1 3/4 c. Flour
1 Bag of chocolate chips (or raisins, nuts, M&M's - anything really!)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, eggs and brown sugar until it's relatively creamy. Add remaining ingredients, mixing together until all are incorporated. Roll dough into balls and place 6-8 on a cookie sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or just until the outside of the cookies have browned around the edges. Remove, slightly cool, grab milk and DEVOUR!

NOTE: I love using a mini-muffin pan to bake cookies in, and my pan worked perfectly with this recipe. The end result were these adorable little cookie-pies. Adjust your baking time when you do this, though - they only need about 5-7 minutes, depending on how "done" you like them!

------------
What are some of your favorite recipes, and what do you like to experiment with in the kitchen?

4 comments:

  1. Am just learning to use coconut oil and made some amazing quinoa granola. Want to try this recipe! How else do you use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try your granola recipe! Coconut oil has like...a bazillion uses. So far my favorites are:

      - substituting for butter (it's DELICIOUS on toast)
      - turning my powder eye shadow into a liquid-like substance. The color stays on wonderfully!
      - as lotion for O this winter. Wonderful moisturizer, plus you smell like the Bahamas.
      - helps get rid of heartburn. In a flash! I also love Papaya Chewable Enzymes (find at Red Clover, Open Harvest, or Natural Grocer's) for heartburn, too. Mr. D swears by them.

      I found a lot of uses from Pinterest and other blogs. Here are some helpful ones:

      - http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/80-uses-for-coconut-oil/
      - http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/01/52-uses-for-coconut-oil-the-simple-the-strange-and-the-downright-odd/

      Happy Coconutt-ing

      Delete
  2. Just made your "healthy cookie pies!!" YUM-O! And I tried to make them a bit healthier by using whole wheat flour, flax seed in place of one egg, 1 c. brown sugar and 1/4 c. of applesauce. Then I added 1/2 c. white choc. chips, 1/2 c. of semi-sweet choc. chips and 1/2 c. of dried cranberries. And I cooked them in my mini muffin pan. I LOVE this idea! Will definitely be keeping this recipe for future! Thanks, Maddie!!
    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Love the variation! I'll have to try it out!!!

      Delete

Popular Posts